Monday, September 2, 2013

Summer 2013

I have this enormous feeling of sadness that the end of the summer is upon me.  I really felt like I had just hit my stride with the children.  The kiddos on the other hand are ready to back to school, have some separate space.  If I had to move them apart from the other one more time, I'm pretty sure I would've locked them outside until dinner  ;0)  It has been a summer of peaks, valleys, and plateaus. 

In June, I saw the while summer ahead of us like a dream.  I had visions of going to their favorite park frequently, using and abusing our pool membership, and making sure I followed a strict schedule with them so it wouldn't  be such a shock when school returned.  I was going to make crafts with them, I had pinned so many on Pinterest.  It was going to be a summer to remember for them.  The schedule was the first thing to fly out the window.  Although Manning was up promptly at 6:30 EVERY morning.  Princess was a reluctant riser, and given her sassiness, I didn't feel the need to make her wake up.  Therefore, given this, there was no point to the schedule since wake up time was so flexible.  If I think about it, I was just looking for an excuse to not follow a routine.  I was ready for some down time, relaxation.  I did take them to their favorite park (see the MacArthur Blvd. post) and never really had the gumption to return.  The pool was my saving grace.  I could bribe them with that to achieve cleaning and productivity.  Crafts never happened.  I was not meant to be that mom.  I did bake with them, something I could be successful in accomplishing. We made sugar cookies, toffee almond sandies, more sugar cookies and finally some caramel bars to cope with the stress of returning to real life. 

In the midst of all this were two trips to the beach, one with my family and another with the group of friends, who really are like family.  Each was relaxing, filled with good food and memories.  I believe Peanut could live on the sand.  She thrives at the beach, rushing the waves, dancing on the shore, and enjoying the pool as intermittent entertainment.  Manning could live in a pool.  He does not enjoy the grit of the sand, the chaffing of the salt water or the intense sun.  He did learn to play in the waves, but could really take it or leave it.  For Peanut, the beach is a part of her soul.  She has asked numerous times to return. 

On this Labor Day, preparations are complete for sending them both to school.  Manning will be in 2nd and Peanut in K, with Manning's previous teacher.  Have I mentioned how excited I am for her to have this teacher?  Over the moon with joy and anticipation at watching her learn under the teacher's guidance.  I'm also secretly hoping she can keep her attitude under control while she's at school, saving it all for me....Manning has become slightly attitudinal, but I figure at 7, he should be.  He's still a gentle, kindhearted, yet powerful kiddo.  He should be a linebacker for the Redskins, but I'm afraid of head and neck injuries, so I'm a huge proponent for golf...lol. 

So, good bye summer of 2013.  I welcome the upcoming fall weather, apple picking, and birthday parties galore.  I shall continue to learn from changes this summer and the growing pains will hopefully subside, leaving me in a much better place. 

      "What defines us is how well we rise after falling...."

xoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment