Actually, I think I should have titled this post "Helicopter" because as I drove home from the beach yesterday and traffic sucked, I wished I could have just flown above it all, landing at home. It would have saved hearing "Moooom, Peanut looked at me funny!" or "Mom, C won't share the movies with me so I can pick which one I want next....". There were others that I might have blocked from my memory since they elicited the same response, "Work it out please, I'm trying to focus on the brake lights in front of me." Since a helicopter and landing pad weren't available for my use, after 6 arduous hours, the trip ended with a joyous arrival at home. Dear arrived shortly thereafter, which meant I was finally free of my two shadows, if but for a moment. I think I used that short break to actually pee all by myself.
While at the beach, I was in a bubble. I was able to begin to heal from the surgery and enjoy laughing with my darling children. I realized that discussing all of the events makes people uncertain for how they want to support Dear and me. I might have whined that my family members hadn't addressed it with me, but really, what was I thinking? What could I expect them to say? Did they have the magic wand to turn back the hands of time and erase the events? No, they surely didn't, but I think I was harboring thoughts that they might, which made the reality a huge let down. They offered what the could: love, kindness, support, and ears, even if they didn't know what to say. I am grateful for the support they gave and will continue to give me as time progresses.
Returning from the beach, there isn't a bubble in which to live. I must see my beloved friends, enjoy their company, and be the social butterfly I strive to be...lol! I fear this more than I can say. I fear seeing the sadness in their facial expressions, the hug that lasts just a little to long, the phrase "I hope you are doing okay" whispered in my ear, the gentle touch....all endearing but frightening at the same time. I fear I will appear aloof or standoffish, so I will work my very best to not be that way. I will smile, I will laugh, I will enjoy a night out with Dear, while his cousin watches the children. It just might feel awkward, but maybe only as awkward as I let feel. I have the strength to do this. Honestly, though I'm tying this as my husband is at a friend's daughter's birthday party, because I couldn't see people yet. I didn't have the strength to face it just yet. I will though.
Time stands still for no one, which means I have laundry to do, beds to remake and a house that has been in the care of Dear for a week.
xoxoxoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment