Thursday, July 25, 2013

Sun, Sun....Mr. Golden Sun......

Yesterday was the perfect day for spending at the beach, which my children did for about 5 hours.  My sister and brother in law took them down ahead of when I was ready, allowing me to read a chapter or 5.  The sun was shining gloriously, filling my soul with joy.  I sauntered down to the beach about 2 hours after the gang, inspiring my children to accost me as soon as my feet hit the sand.  I set up shop, plopped down in the chair, only to be summoned to the waves by Peanut.  I requested just a moment to get settled, all the while watching. 

Until my son was was 4, he refused to touch sand or grass with his hands or feet.  How many children do you know that will sit on a beach towel for their first birthday because they refuse to touch the grass?  Yes, that was MY son.  The progress that has been made in the last 3 years, since his first successful attempt at touching sand, never fails to amaze me.  He now runs through the sand, dashing into the ocean, jumping over waves, relishing the cooling effects of the ocean.  Yesterday he was ducking under the waved, jumping into them as the began to break closer to him, swimming around with his face in the water, and following my brother in law out into deeper parts.  His smile was plastered across his face the entire time I was there, and before I am sure.  I am so glad he loves the beach. 

Peanut has always embraced the sand.  It seems to be that the beach is part of her soul.  She has failed to shown any trepidation toward approaching the ocean or pool.  Yesterday high tide had come earlier in the morning, leaving tidal pools, or puddles as she called them.  She wanted nothing more than to run through every single tidal pool that she could see from our seats.  It was great, I must say.  I was reluctant to walk with her, but given that she is persistent, I took the opportunity to enjoy being with her.  The water was quite warm, almost hot, but didn't bother her at all.  Eventually she picked a large one, close enough to me, and played in it for the remainder of our time at the beach.  She floated, ran, dove, splashed, and relished her time in the puddle.  Her brother joined her intermittently, but it was all about her in that moment. 

Tomorrow will be the wretched drive home.  I'm ready to be with Dear.  Vacationing with my parents is always an exercise in patience and medication endurance...lol! 

L

No comments:

Post a Comment