Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Over the hills and through the woods................

I mentioned yesterday that I took the kiddos to their favorite park while enjoying a break from the sweltering summer heat and humidity that usually grips the northeast.  I have taken the children there multiple times; I know where I am going.  The previous statements are important because on any given day, I could get lost in a traffic circle on foot or perhaps be unable to drive myself out of a paper bag.  I promise you though, I knew where I was going for this field trip.  I was calm, cool and prepared for the jaunt.

I quickly looked up the address in previous destinations on the old GPS, hit go, and boom, we were off and running!  Traffic was good, I was pleased, and glanced down at the GPS before the split between hither and yon.  For some odd reason, it told me to go to the left and head toward hither.  I really had in my head to go in the direction of yon, but hey, like I said before, no sense of direction, so the GPS was right.  I went toward hither, feeling odd, but hey, I was going to be okay.  I just must have forgotten how to get there.  It had been a while. 

The first clue should have been when the arrows had me going through parts of the big city, which confused my children because they really just wanted to go to the park and wanted to know WHY we were in the city.  Pshaw, I assured them this was just a new way to get there.  Meanwhile, my inside thoughts were screaming, "WTF have I done?  This is SOOOO not the right way!!!!"  I continued to follow the arrows, incorrectly at times, thus causing us to drive in a more circuitous route than what might have been in the beginning.  Great, just great, was my mantra.

I had to make a couple of left turns, a few right, and head through neighborhoods where I will NEVER live in a thousand years. Not because I was in the projects, but the million dollar homes instead.  It might have been that during my gawking while driving, I might have missed a few more turns, but hey, I was enjoying the scenery.  My children were not and were starting to demand to know when we would arrive. 

About this time, while at a red light, I decided to text Dear, knowing he would get a kick out of where I had been.  See, Dear used to courier through the city and knows it like the back of his hand.  It might be aptly described as Dear being the antithesis of me.  For example, when I was lost inside the traffic circle, and could not find my way out of it, Dear was my go to guy.  The squeals of joy when I actually recognized the landmarks as he helped me walk out of the circle was like nothing you've ever heard.  So, I texted saying in my next life I would stand in line twice for that sense of direction gift.  His response was "Where did you get lost now?"  I explained that I had been through MacArthur Blvd. to get to the park.  He replied "OMG!"   I think it was like the traffic circle all over again, just with laughter, instead of frantic tears.

Finally, as we crested the hill, the sign appeared on the left, and we all cheered.  Peanut exclaimed, "Good by houses, HELLLOOO park!!!!"  Going home was so much better three hours later.  I didn't even turn on the GPS.  Thanks, Dear, for laughing with me on my latest adventure, and probably at me, since I got so lost, as only I can....

xoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment